Postgraduate Thomas Hardy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hardy Research

3 posters

Go down

Hardy Research Empty Hardy Research

Post  Admin Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:02 pm

I've set up this forum to encourage contact between postgraduate researchers who are studying Hardy. Please feel free to pass on the forum address to any other students who may be interested.
Rebecca

Admin
Admin

https://pgth.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Hardy Research Empty Re: Hardy Research

Post  jonamemel Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:24 am

Thanks Rebecca

Perhaps we could post what aspects of Hardy we are particularly interested in?

My PhD looks at education in his life, work and elsewhere in the period. I'm at an early stage, but am interested in looking at how Hardy is critical of the emerging education system- himself something of an autodidact!

Hope to hear from others!

Jonathan

jonamemel

Back to top Go down

Hardy Research Empty Nature, landscape and archaeology

Post  Admin Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 pm

Hi there
Your project sounds interesting. Will you be looking at the education of rural populations? There is a good article in one of the online newspapers, I think, titled 'Education in the Country'. Richard Jefferies (1848-1887) wrote a bit about the education of the rural poor.
I'm just at the end of my project now, but it considers Jefferies and Hardy and the role of archaeology in their works - I align the mysterious qualities of prehistoric times with the discovery of new subterranean territories in the self. In a society that was ‘adrift on change’, and seeking new meaning, connections between the literary and archaeological imagination, and between the present and the past, forged some form of consolation. I find it interesting that Hardy chose an ancient burial site as the building site for Max Gate. I'm sure these days it wouldn't be allowed!
Rebecca

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tracy Hayes Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:33 am

Hi Johnathan and Rebecca,

I hope this works, it's taken me half an hour just to be able to access the posts you both entered! I'm afraid I'm rather a ludite!
I've just started the third year of a 'part-time' PhD (though it takes up almost ALL of my life!) on investigating masculinities in Hardy's novels. His novels are so rich in representations of manliness, manhood, being a man, what masculinity comprises. I've completed my two contextual chapters, the first on social/psycho-sexual/evolutionary-biological constructions of 19thC masculinity, the second on the available literature to date regarding critical assessments by others of masculinities in his works. There isn't much yet! I hope to fill a gap!

Just out of interest, what is everyone's favourite Hardy novel? Mine is Far From the Madding Crowd, closely followed by The Mayor of Casterbridge.

It was wonderful to meet everyone at the conference in August!

Tracy.

Tracy Hayes

Back to top Go down

Post  Tracy Hayes Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:34 am

Sorry Jonathan, just realised I spelt your name wrong! Apologies.
Tracy.

Tracy Hayes

Back to top Go down

Hardy Research Empty re: Hardy Research

Post  Admin Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:59 am

Hi Tracy
I like FFMC and MC, but I'm also fond of A Pair of Blue Eyes. Are you looking at any of Hardy's poetry?
Rebecca

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tracy Hayes Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi Rebecca,

I'm not looking into his poetry with regards to my thesis simply because there is ample enough with the novels on their own! I'd have to write two theses! You may have noticed on FB that I posted a request to our fellow Hardy pg's from the conference in August telling them to look this site up. Hopefully we'll get swinging soon! Wink

Tracy Hayes

Back to top Go down

Hardy Research Empty Hardy facebook

Post  Admin Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:34 pm

Thanks, Tracy. We also have a PGTH facebook group, if you'd like to join and encourage others to do so:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/109964452390526/

Rebecca

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jonamemel Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:01 am

Sorry for this belated reply, I've just re-discovered this thread. Perhaps there is a way of receiving notifications?

Thank you Rebecca for the tip about Jefferies, which I will follow up. I haven't yet looked into the education of the rural poor, but am focusing on working class education and challenges to the idea of a liberal education in Jude the Obscure, for my current chapter.

To link to your work on Archaeology, much of Newman's argument in The Idea of a University (which is evoked repeatedly in Jude)hinges on a reverence for the past as a solution to the turmoil of the present. Do you see Hardy's treatment of archaeology as redemptive/ healing, in this way?

Tracy: my favourite is The Return of the Native, as I sense it's the first in which Hardy begins exploring larger themes and ideas. And that magnificent first chapter, of course. Do you consider Hardy's own life in your study of masculinities? If so, I wonder about that comment in Life, regarding his delayed growth into manhood?

Would be interested to hear others' research interests too,

JGM

jonamemel

Back to top Go down

Hardy Research Empty Hardy Research

Post  Tracy Hayes Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi Jonathan!
Yes I will be using material from Hardy's own life, especially that quote of his on being a young man until his 50's! These things will be dotted about the thesis as and when the specific discourse chapters require them. Right now I'm working on my 'Alpha-Male' chapter, so I really don't think he'll be featuring in this one! Wink
Tracy.

Tracy Hayes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum